Friday, December 10, 2010

Potential Change in Internship

I continue to waver over whether or not I should change internships. 

The psych ward is a tough place to be.  For anyone.  Whether you be a therapist, a tech, a nurse, a doc, or a patient.  They use words like "milieu" and "internal stressors" to describe the environment and how people are being effected.  It's a world unto itself, locked behind doors, a spectacle to those that are priveledged to have a key.

I'm somewhat comfortable now in these strange surroundings.  I have a handle on the dos and don'ts.  I have a spot for my bag and a certain niche that only an unpaid intern can fill.  I have very little responsibility yet all the responsibility in the world when talking to a suicidal teen.  I have already learned so much and realize I have so much yet to learn.  I'm yet to find security in my skills and find myself daily challenged.  Heck, challenged by the minute.

Except that I've put in a request to be changed.  Changed to the "big house" to work with the hospital social worker on the medical floors.  I wager that the hospital social worker has no real idea what might go on behind the psych ward walls.  Or she does know and that's why I've never heard her or her role at the "big house" ever mentioned. 

My excuse is my kids, they need me to be present, not lost in a world of grotesque horrors known only to the youths that laze the halls of a psychiatric hospital. 

No comments:

Post a Comment